INSURANCE . RETIREMENT . INVESTMENTS
We are just about 2 months away from the end of 2020 and this is usually the time many of us undertake home renovations or redecorating in preparation for Christmas. Today’s article addresses how you can do simple home adjustments and save money!
1. Install Crown Mouldings – Is your living room lacking some magic? Crown mouldings can not only enhance the value of your home but also completely change how your rooms look. A crown moulding is a trim that lines where the ceilings and wall meet and these mouldings can be made of different materials to suit your needs, with both wood and non-wood (gypsum or plastic) variations that are easy on your pocket. These mouldings can also be coloured based on your taste!
There are many Do-It-Yourself videos that you can view online with simple to follow instructions on how to install crown mouldings yourself. Not only is this an economical choice, but it can be a great activity to do with family and friends.
2. Upgrade your home with a fresh coat of paint – Something as simple as changing the room or wall colour with a new coat of paint can make a big difference in how your home looks. It is recommended that darker colour paints be used for the outside walls of your home while lighter colours be used for inside, particularly in rooms that have very little natural lighting.
Note – Homes should be repainted every five to ten years as factors such as the weather and climate can affect the paint and cause it to deteriorate, which in turn can decrease the value of your home.
3. Re-tile your bathrooms – Bathroom tiles can be subjected to wear and tear over time, resulting in unsightly cracks and discolouration. This is particularly evident in light-coloured tiles as opposed to dark-coloured tiles. Bathrooms are usually smaller than the other main rooms of the house, so tiling is quicker, easier and costs less. Tiling can be done as a DIY with the right tools and will save you those extra pennies, while improving the value of your home.
Tiles come in a variety of designs and colours so don’t hesitate to pick something that is exciting and fun to bring life your bathroom!
4. Repair and remodel existing wooden furniture – Instead of purchasing new furniture, you can repair and remodel existing furniture with a fresh coat of paint and light modifications or enhancements to help change the look and feel of your home while saving money.
Have a dusty couch or recliner that you cannot part with but just does not fit in with the rest of the furniture? Consider reupholstering it a different colour or material and see how much of a difference such a simple, cost-effective move can make on your home.
Some popular furniture choices for repairing and remodelling are:
- Kitchen tables
- Couches and recliners
- Patio chairs
5. Change your lighting – Lighting has a major impact on your home and directly affects how the interior of your home looks, the overall ambiance and even the electricity costs. Changing or upgrading of lighting is also relatively inexpensive to embark on and can be done by yourself, which makes it a great choice for simple home renovation plans.
It is important to note the three (3) primary lighting colour choices used in homes: White lights, Yellow lights and Off-Yellow lights. White lights are considered primary lights, have lower electricity costs and are more suited for bed rooms, kitchens and areas where reading or studying takes place. Yellow lights provide ambience and can create a cosy setting, so these should be reserved for use in living rooms. Off-White or neutral lights can also be used in living rooms, based on the users' preference.
With these 5 Simple Tips you can stay within a budget, completely change how your home looks and improve your home’s value. Remember, if you are undertaking renovations that increase the value of your home, your Home and Contents Insurance policy should also be updated to provide additional coverage.
Interested in Home and Contents Insurance? Contact Guardian General Insurance Limited today at 226-6944 for more information!
Thank you for joining us for this week’s article. Have an enjoyable weekend and join us again next week for more!